Monday, May 22, 2006

Antidote to Da Vinci Code: Inviting Women to Share Their Stories

Clicking on the above title would get you to HerCode.org (www.hercode.org), a participatory Web site launched May 12. This is providing women with a place to share their stories "in safety and communion" and is endorsed by the NCC's Justice for Women Working Group.

Helen LaKelly Hunt founder of Faith and Feminism writes:
"While my Christian faith is the soul and foundation of who I am, it is also true that the history of Christianity reveals centuries of the silencing of women and the suppression of their talents and potential. This incongruity, I believe, is the reason for the astonishing popularity of The Da Vinci Code. Although the book is a work of fiction, it has nevertheless touched a raw nerve: the suppression of the feminine within all institutional religion."

I wish that not only Christian women, but Jewish, Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist women may participate in this new experiment.

3 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Blogger Leonard said...

You are a Christian and you go along with that? I'm sorry, but Jesus is my Savior and that book is really screwed up.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Julie said...

The book may be really screwed up, but it is striking a chord with a lot of people, particulary those who are disillusioned with Christianity. As Christians, I think we ought to examine the source of their disillusionment and ask ourselves if we have been contributing to it in any way. Jesus is my Savior too, but that doesn't mean the church hasn't made any mistakes in the past two thousand years. I've known many, many people (myself included) who have been deeply wounded by the church. Perhaps this movie should be viewed as a wake-up call instead of an attack on our faith. When unbelievers see that we are willing to enter into meaningful dialogue with them instead of always taking offense, they will be much more inclined to listen to our message.

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is so interesting to me is that at my Jesuit university, the priests taught me much of what is in the Davinci Code, in a "history of early Christianity" class. Why are we so quick to dismiss that much of what in the book might actaully be true? Why do people ignore political reality of the development of the church? That's why I love the Jesuits, because they aren't afraid to examine history, and don't allow thier faith in the Christ's teaching principles to be threatenend by it... how sad this fear amongtst some Christians....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>